Friday, July 07, 2006

so the lovely 1950's style sewing pattern (the belted shirtdress with the unmistakable collar on the left) calls for approximately four yards of fabric. ladies and gentlemen, here are the finalists:


chrysanthemum garden - pink


fiona - cinnamon/turquoise


lotus leaf - red


mini stars


paperweight - lime


sock monkey dots - lime


wallpaper flower - pink

i am intentionally staying away from stripes or anything tricky to sew up (like the cute but unfortunate jersey mini giraffes and satin poly kimura kuties). i'd need to improve my skillz a bit for that. i'm also planning to shorten the hem to make the skirt fall around knee-length, midi a-line. i want a fun fabric, but nothing that will make it overkill with the obviously vintage silhouette. if you have another suggestion, please let me know.

any thoughts? other than i like green and pink a whole lot? ^_^

5 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

What a cool pattern! I love all of the fabrics, especially the florals, but I think the mini stars would be perfect for that pattern. To me, it's the most modern, and I think it would look great used with the vintage pattern.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Hmm, I'm partial to both the Kaffe Fassets, particularly the paperweights. (Mainly because I like both but would probably not choose them for myself!) I also like the mini stars if you are going for a more subdued look. However, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of these!!

10:59 PM  
Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

For a taylored subdued look and for the working world, go with the mini stars. But if you want wild & fun, go with the paperweight lime or my very favorite, the chrysantheum garden. But then, I love the orange & pink mix!

12:25 PM  
Blogger T said...

love the paperweights, but also adore the wallpaper flowers. A client of mine recently bought an older house with something like that on the walls and she was thinking of designing a skirt around the pattern....so 50's looking.

12:18 AM  
Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

The mini stars is probably the most authentic, if that's what you're going for. But for a whole dress, it might be a bit ... um ... boring (?). And boring is decidedly NOT Christine-like.

I LOVE the lotus leaf, wallpaper flower and fiona prints in that order, but they might be too big for an entire dress. What's the size of the pattern repeat?

The chrysanthemum print is gorgeous, but from a distance, it might just look like prettyprettypink.

Yep, I think the paperweight lime is the most Christine-like choice. If I can be presumptuous enough to say that...

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home